Wednesday 4 July 2012

Review: Memoirs of a Geisha


Memoirs of a Geisha
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



MY FAVOURITE BOOK, EVER.

Seriously, I loved this book so much. I read it just before the film came out, when I was about eleven. I devoured it, with its musical, poetic speech. The metaphors are unique and honestly the best I've ever read in a novel. It's more like a written song. Every time I read this book, (which now totals about twelve times) I always take something new from it. My second reading was the paragraph about the moth she wraps up in fabric and finds a few years later, completely unchanged. Then she lightly touches it with her finger and it crumbles into dust.

I love the characterisation, the small interwoven stories within the main plot, the beautiful observations Sayuri makes about life, the small details that make this novel truly realistic and involving.

This book needs to be read a million times to be truly appreciated, and (not to be sexist) for a man, Arthur Golden does a spectacular job writing from a woman's point of view. Mesmerising book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

FOREX EXCHANGE RATES

The exchange rate refers to the values ​​of the currencies of the two countries against each other. Any currency the type of the type, it i...